Carlingford Cooley Tourism Association
Established in 2002 but the successor organization to tourism committees that had operated in Carlingford and across the Cooley Peninsula, Carlingford Cooley Tourism Association (CCTA) has an unrivalled record in developing tourism and encouraging visitors to the area.
CCTA has secured the selection of the peninsula for inclusion in the DIT Sustainable Tourism project, which will develop a blue print for sustainable tourism development for the entire peninsula that will protect County Louth’s most valuable destination.
As the representative body of the tourism sector, with a membership base of 70 tourism related groups and businesses, CCTA is the jewel in the crown of the Cooley Peninsula’s efforts to develop and sustain local jobs and services for residents and visitors alike.
Major accomplishments for CCTA to date include
• Carlingford Bird Watching Weekend: This firmly established event occurs usually in February and encourages locals and visitors to seek out and learn about Carlingford & Cooley Peninsula’s unique bird life and eco system.
• Carlingford Easter Egg Hunt and Art Competition, this is a relatively new Event established in 2009 and held on Easter Sunday. Prizes galore for children
• “A Taste of Carlingford” the new boutique community festival providing a wealth of food, music events and food fun in May
• Carlingford Oyster Festival - re-established as a family friendly Festival and is Carlingford’s famous celebration of culinary culture, craft, music and sailing events. Featuring its now famous Chowder Sunday.
• Feile na Nollaig - This event allows locals and visitors to mingle over mulled wine, Christmas carols, beneath the Christmas lights in festive celebration of the magic of Christmas, with Santa appearing centre stage.
• www.carlingford.ie The establishment and management of this website, the most successful tourism related website across the north east.
Literature such as touring guides, listings brochures and many other initiative have also been an established and ongoing part of the work of this valuable organization.
CCTA also sponsors s series of events and community based initiatives throughout the year. Indeed, CCTA through its busy events programme played a decisive role in securing the EDEN award in 2008, as recognized by the EDEN adjudicators.